MLK Days Past
March on Main Street
Days of Service
Since 2005, the Huron Valley Martin Luther King Jr. Day (HV MLK Day) Committee has worked to achieve its mission of hosting a series of events that are free and open to the public honoring the Dr. King holiday with a specific focus of encouraging service to the community from people of all ages. The annual celebration begins in October with the announcement of an art/writing/multimedia contest soliciting creative submissions in any medium based on a specified theme. On the weekend of the National Holiday in January, the committee hosts the March on Main Street through downtown Milford, and collaborates with Community Sharing Outreach Center to facilitate a food drive to support their food pantry that is available to area residents experiencing financial need. Finally, the HV MLK Day Committee sponsors and facilitates a variety of community service projects and events throughout the year.
Previous years community service projects:
- Painting and restoring Center Street Park Gazebo
- Painting the Central Park Pavilion and swing sets
- Partnered with Milford Garden Club to install the monarch butterfly preservation garden called "Arthur's Park"
- Sponsored the Hearty Soup Shelf at Community Sharing's food pantry
- Hosted a number of Community Service Volunteer Fairs highlighting area nonprofits and charities